Wednesday 6 June 2012

Chocolate Whoopie Pies


What do you get when you mash together a cake with a cookie? Whoopie pie! I came across this recipe from one of my favourite food blogs, Not Quite Nigella. The first time I tried this recipe, I used rock salt thinking somehow that the granules would dissolve...well it didn't! So, second time around I just decided to omit the salt and instead of the marshmallow filling I made a peanut buttercream. I also made them much smaller, using a teaspoon instead of an ice cream scoop. They rise and expand quite a bit in the oven, you have been warned! I used Na's buttercream recipe with some slight modifications:

Peanut buttercream recipe

  • 125 g unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup of smooth peanut butter
  • 1 and 1/2 cup of pure icing sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp milk
  1. Beat the butter and peanut butter with an electric whisk
  2. Add the icing sugar, vanilla and milk
  3. Beat until smooth and creamy

I love peanut butter and while I thought this buttercream was pretty good, I think I would add more peanut butter next time. Enjoy! Mi xo

No comments:

Post a Comment