Sunday 2 September 2012

Carrot Cake


Today is Father's Day! To celebrate this, my dad requested a carrot cake so a carrot cake is what I made...


I've made cakes using root vegetables before (See Beetroot Cake) but I've never made a carrot cake.  I went searching through some cookbooks and found a really easy recipe in one of my mum's old cookbooks. I wish I could tell you what the name of the book is but the cover seems to have been ripped off. However, there is an advertisement on the back that encourages readers to subscribe to the Women's Weekly magazine cookbook range so I can only assume that it is affiliated with Women's Weekly. I also found a great cream cheese frosting recipe in this book with no name.

Carrot Cake

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups finely grated carrot (firmly packed)
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup sultanas
2 cups self-raising flour
1 teaspoon mixed spice

  1. Preheat the oven to 180. Grease and line a 23cm square cake pan.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
  3. Stir with a spoon until combined
  4. Pour into cake pan.
  5. Bake for 50 minutes.
  6. Allow to cool in the pan for approximately 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
90g cream cheese
90g softened butter
1 cup sifted icing sugar
  1. Beat the cream cheese and butter together until pale.
  2. Gradually beat in the icing sugar.
Variation: The book suggests a caramel frosting covered with toasted shredded coconut.



Happy Dad's Day! Na xo



No comments:

Post a Comment