Wednesday 20 March 2013

Lemon Drizzle Cupcakes


It's no secret that I love to bake. People often say to me that they don't know how I find the time or else they find baking too difficult and would prefer to use a packet mix because it's easier. Perhaps it's just the scientist in me, but I find as long as you follow a recipe and measure out all quantities precisely you can't really fail. In fact it's more satisfying than a science experiment as more often than not it will result in success, in science I find 9 times out of 10 things will most likely fail or else end up with unexpected results! My point is, baking should be simple and a good book for such recipes is 1 Mix 100 Cakes. Admittedly, I haven't tried all the recipes but this one is definitely one of my favourites! The original recipe is for a loaf, but I made cupcakes instead. Mi xo

Lemon Drizzle Cupcake Recipe

  • 1 and 1/2 cups plain flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 180 g unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup caster sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice

Syrup
  • 3/4 cup pure icing sugar
  • 3 tbsp lemon juice

  1. Preheat a fan forced oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
  2. Sift flour and baking powder.
  3. Add butter, sugar, eggs and beat well until mixture is smooth.
  4. Stir in lemon rind and juice.
  5. Spoon mixture into 2 x 12 muffin size tins lined with paper.
  6. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
  7. For the syrup, place the icing sugar and lemon juice on the stove and heat gently until sugar has melted.
  8. Prick the cupcakes with a skewer and drizzle the syrup on top.




No comments:

Post a Comment